Watch out for some scary Halloween dangers for your dog. When you prepare for possible threats, you can take necessary precautions to prevent a harmful outcome. Candy, candles, cords, and more are common dangers that pose a threat to your furry friend.
Halloween Candy Can Be Toxic To Your Dog
Don’t let your dog eat Halloween candy. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, and tin foil and cellophane wrappers can be hazardous if swallowed. Seal your child’s stash and keep it out of reach. In addition to candy, the following ingredients are ones to keep an eye out for as they pose a threat to the health and safety of your pup.
This sweetener is in gum, baked goods, toothpaste, and candy products. Xylitol increases insulin which can lead to liver failure. Beginning signs of this poison include vomiting, lethargy, and lack of coordination.
Salt & Salty Snack Foods
Some clues that your dog has ingested too many salty foods include diarrhea, vomiting, depression, elevated body temperature, tremors, seizures, and even death.
A large amount of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination in your four-legged friend, and sometimes sodium ion poisoning. We suggest you avoid feeding your dog salt-laden snacks like pretzels, potato chips, and popcorn.
The high amount of fat and oils found in nuts like walnuts, almonds, and pecans can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and potentially pancreatitis.
If your pup eats this kind of nut, expect side effects to start within 12 hours and last between 24-48 hours. Weakness, hypothermia, vomiting, tremors, and depression are possible outcomes.
Milk & Dairy
Dogs do not have large amounts of lactase, which breaks down the lactose found in milk. Because of this, they should avoid milk and dairy products to avoid diarrhea and stomach problems.
Grapes & Raisins
Researchers have yet to discover the toxic ingredient in grapes that pose a threat to your pup. However, what is known is that, when a dog eats a grape, it can cause kidney failure.
How to Keep Halloween Candy Away from Your Pup
Dogs are crafty enough to find objects they know they aren’t allowed to have, and candy is one thing you will want to properly store to protect your pup from harmful ingredients. Too much sugar can lead to weight gain, teeth problems, diabetes, and other health issues. When you take the time to put preventive measures in place, your home and pet will thank you.
Keep Treats Out Of Dogs Reach
Your countertop is not a good hiding place for candy and cookies. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and your pup will undoubtedly find a way to get those treats. Your best option is to lock them up or put them high enough in a cabinet or pantry you know is not accessible to your pet.
Secure Your Trash Can
A dog’s sense of smell is incredible, and they can smell good things through the foul-smelling food in your garbage can. Lock your trash can in a cabinet or behind a pantry door to ensure your pup doesn’t decide to go digging through your garbage.
Keep Everyone In The House On The Same Page
Please communicate with your entire household the importance that they don’t feed your family pet candy and sugar-filled snacks. Everyone must understand the possible side effects of too many sweets and offer healthier, safer alternatives to reward their dog.
Reach Out If Your Dog Eats Something Toxic
If you feel your dog ate something that could harm it, contact your veterinarian right away. Try to be detailed with the amount ingested, save wrappers if possible, and don’t wait for symptoms to show up. Call an emergency practice or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Line if your vet is not available.
Dangers Presented By Candles and Essential Oils
Fall brings on the cozy smells of pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon, and autumn leaves. Experts estimate that dogs can detect scents up to 100,000 times more than humans. For some four-legged friends, essential oils, candles, and air fresheners can pose a threat. Learn how to safely mask pet odors while creating the cozy atmosphere you desire.
When decorating for Halloween, putting candles in pumpkins is a common practice. Sometimes a stray tail can knock over candles, leading to a fire. Consider using a no flame, no-mess alternative to light up your jack-o-lantern.
Delicious-smelling candles can lead dogs to chew on the wax. Typically, if a dog ingests a candle, it will upset the stomach or cause diarrhea. One airborne product released when candles are burned is called phthalates, and this particle can cause diabetes, birth defects, and cancer; be careful when lighting candles around your pup to avoid causing them harm.
Dogs who consume essential oils through ingestion, the skin, or mucus membranes can cause severe health problems. For example, tea tree or eucalyptus oils can cause weakness, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes death. It’s best not to apply oils to your pup’s skin directly, and you should exercise caution while diffusing oils, as well. Some oils to avoid include clove, cinnamon, peppermint, wintergreen, clove, citrus-based oils, and more.
Air Freshener Sprays
Be aware that some aerosol air freshener sprays or plug-ins can release toxins into the air, such as lead, formaldehyde, and naphthalene. These toxins can cause asthma, nausea, kidney or liver conditions, and even cancer. If you must spray air freshener, make sure your pet is not in the room, and if you spray furniture, ensure it is dry before your pup sits on it.
There are safe ways to have your home smell like a delicious dessert or hot drink without worrying about the safety of your furry friends. Look for candles that are made from soy, beeswax, or blue corn and are free from artificial fragrances. Choose candles with a cotton wick, as well.
Room sprays such as Febreeze are okay, but avoid direct contact with your pup. As you diffuse essential oils, monitor your pet for signs of respiratory issues. As suggested with candies and sweets, keep all candles, room sprays, and essential oils out of reach in a spot you are confident your dog cannot access.
Wires and Cords Can Harm Your Dog
Cords and wires are all over our home. When the holidays come around, there are even more thanks to cheerful decorations and cooking appliances, and these cords can threaten dogs who like to chew. Chewing on cords can cause cuts, burns, and possibly life-threatening electrical shock. Make sure to safely secure all wires and cables from decorative lights and props. You can also prevent chewing by following these tips.
Consider hiding power cords behind furniture or wrapping them around door frames. Cable management boxes are also available to purchase; these boxes house cords, chargers, and other wires you would like out of plain sight, helping you stay organized and protect your dog. Another option is to clip your cables to the wall so they don’t dangle, which can entice your pup to play with them.
Block Access To Cords
It’s hard to hide all the cords in your home. However you can block rooms with a lot of cords so your pup does not have easy access to chew. Close the door or put up a gate to create a blockade.
Make Cords Unappealing
Another option to deter your canine family member from chewing on power cords is coating them with an unappealing scent. Some common sprays feature spicy-hot or bitter scents. Keep in mind that what might be repulsive to one dog could be appealing to another. Make sure to use pet-safe products that have safe ingredients.
Stimulate Your Pup
One reason animals choose to chew on things is because they have too much energy that has not been released positively. They could be bored and lonely, so chewing is one way they can receive stimulation. You can solve this problem by:
- Regularly exercising your pup to release energy and tire them out.
- Providing your four-legged friend with plenty of toy options that they are permitted to chew.
Train Your Dog Not To Chew
While this may seem like a first choice, this process could take some time to redirect your puppy and train it not to chew on a hazardous object such as a power cord. Make sure you stay consistent with your approach to training.
Dogs Can Be Scared By Your Doorbell
All but the most social dogs should be kept away from the front door during peak trick-or-treat hours. All those strangers repeatedly ringing the bell can be very scary and stressful. One option is to put your dog in another room furthest away from the doorbell so the sound is not as loud. You can also put music or the TV on to drown out the noise.
What To Do If Your Dog Runs Away on Halloween
Sometimes accidents happen, and while you are frequently opening the door for trick-or-treaters, your pup may make a run for it. Proper identification can be a lifesaver. In addition to a collar with your contact information, you may want to consider microchipping your pet as an added measure of security.