Just because you love dogs doesn’t mean you love having their fur all over your house. After all, who wants to sit on a couch that’s more hair than cushion? Or be forced to run their vacuum daily (okay, weekly) basis? And if you have allergies, a dog that sheds a lot can leave you sneezing, wheezing, or even covered with a nasty rash — not fun.
In contrast, while not all low-shedding dogs (there’s no such thing as a dog who doesn’t shed at all) are hypoallergenic, they can help to keep you from pulling your hair out — even if you like things spic and span or suffer from canine allergies.
So what are the dog breeds that shed the least for the anti-shedders out there?
Small Dogs That Don’t Shed
With these cute little pups, you won’t have to worry about dead hair and — more importantly — dander polluting your house. But there’s a tradeoff. Hair and dander stay away because Bichon Frises need regular grooming to manage their long coats.
- How Much Does a Bichon Frise Shed? Lightly throughout the year and heavier during shedding seasons.
- Are Bichon Frise Hypoallergenic? Yes
Similar to the Bichon Frise, the Bolognese has hair rather than fur. This may sound like a great option, but know that you need to brush the dog’s coat daily and keep up with daily grooming tasks.
- How Much Do Bolognese Shed? A small amount
- Are Bolognese Hypoallergenic? Yes
This breed is known for being quiet, which makes them a perfect dog for apartment living. Basenjis shed minimally, and all needed to care for the short coat is a brush every once in a while.
- How Much Do Basenjis Shed? Yes, a small amount, and it’s not too noticeable since it’s short and fine.
- Are Basenjis Hypoallergenic? Yes
Affenpinscher means “monkey-like terrier” and has small, wiry hair with little to no odor. The only grooming the Affenpinscher needs is twice-weekly brushing with a slicker brush and comb.
- How Much Do Affinpinscher’s Shed? Small amount
- Are Affinpinscher’s Hypoallergenic? Yes
Rough-coat Brussels griffons are champion low-shedders because they only lose their hair during grooming. Plus, how can you resist their adorably mashed-in faces? Answer: You can’t.
- How Much Do Brussels Griffons Shed? Infrequently, mostly when cold turns warm and warm turns cold.
- Are Brussels Griffons Hypoallergenic? Yes
The hairless variety of this breed is regularly touted as the most hypoallergenic puppy out there and periodically wins “ugliest dog” contests. But even the coated type of Chinese crested is a good option for those who don’t want to have to deal with shedding — as long as you’re willing to engage in regular grooming.
- How Much Do Chinese Crested Shed? Being hairless, they still shed a low amount due to the hair on their head, legs, and tail.
- Are Chinese Crested Hypoallergenic? No
For 28 centuries, this breed has not changed much. Their long, white hair sheds minimally but should be brushed daily to prevent matting. An occasional bath will help keep the white, silky hair clean from dirt and debris.
- How Much Do Maltese Shed? They do not shed much because they don’t have an undercoat as st breeds do.
- Are Maltese Hypoallergenic? Yes
That’s right: the poodle. Known for curly hair that can be sculpted in all ways, poodles naturally have low allergenic qualities. They have even been used for breeding many of the most popular hypoallergenic dogs that exist today. Why? Primarily it’s due to their single-layer coat that resists shedding.
- How Much Do Poodles Shed? Yes, similar to humans, they will occasionally shed a few strands of hair at a time.
- Are Poodles Hypoallergenic? Yes
Scottish Terriers, sometimes called “Scotties,” feature a wiry and weather-resistant coat that sheds very little. Owners will need to brush and groom daily and hand occasionally stripping to keep their breed outline sharp.
- How Much Do Scottish Terriers Shed? While they need daily upkeep on their grooming, they shed minimally.
- Are Scottish Terriers Hypoallergenic? Yes
Often called “little lion dogs,” this breed sheds minimally, and when the hair is brushed out, the Shih Tzu has a regal air about them.
- How Much Do Shih Tzus Shed? Low shedding
- Are Shih Tzus Hypoallergenic? Yes
Commonly known as the Mexican hairless dog, this breed does have a coated variety. No matter which one you opt for, though, you’ll experience minimal shedding and almost no grooming — the coated versions barely even have to be bathed! The most challenging job you’ll have with them is to pronounce the breed name. Say it with me, “So-low-eets-ku-EENT-lay.” Or, as they do in Mexico, you can just shorten it to xolo.
- How Much Do Xoloitzcuintles Shed? When brushed daily, they shed minimally
- Are Xoloitzcuintles Hypoallergenic? Yes
This adorable little guy may have a coat that just keeps on growing (which necessitates frequent grooming), but it only sheds a small amount.
- How Much Do Yorkshire Terriers Shed? They shed minimally all year round.
- Are Yorkshire Terriers Hypoallergenic? Yes
Medium Dogs That Don’t Shed
Let’s start with a breed that’s as low-maintenance as they come. This sleek, short-haired pup barely sheds and needs absolutely no grooming. Your biggest worry will probably be keeping them in sweaters to make sure they’re warm during colder weather.
- How Much Do Italian Greyhounds Shed? Shedding is minimal.
- Are Italian Greyhounds Hypoallergenic? Yes
This breed has an outer coat and undercoat of hair that is short, wiry, and dense. Irish Terrier should be groomed with a firm bristle brush two to three times a week to keep healthy.
- How Much Do Irish Terriers Shed? When the coat is cared for, there is no shedding.
- Are Irish Terriers Hypoallergenic? Yes
German for “little lion,” Löwchen have long, bushy coats reminiscent of a lion’s mane. Because of this, you might be surprised to learn that they’re actually considered a hypoallergenic breed and barely shed.
- How Much Do Löwchens Shed? Minimally when appropriately groomed.
- Are Löwchens Hypoallergenic? Yes
Kerry Blue Terrier
The Kerry Blue Terrier is high maintenance even though its coat is non-shedding. The fur is wavy, soft, and dense and will need brushing daily to prevent its coat from matting.
- How Much Do Kerry Blue Terriers Shed? No
- Are Kerry Blue Terriers Hypoallergenic? Yes
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen
The PBGV has a rough and thick coat of fur similar to a goat, and grooming this dog can be a source of stress for those not used to that specific coat. Brush weekly, and at the end of grooming, you should be able to run a comb through the fur.
- How Much Do PBGVs Shed? Yes, they moderately shed.
- Are PBGVs Hypoallergenic? No
Portuguese Water Dog
Only somewhat hypoallergenic Portuguese water dogs still shed, but only a tiny amount. They do, however, have a coat that requires regular grooming because if not managed, it will never stop growing.
- How Much Do Portuguese Water Dogs Shed? They do not have an undercoat, so shedding is minimal.
- Are Portuguese Water Dogs Hypoallergenic? Yes
Standard Schnauzers have a thick double coat with a wiry outer coat and soft undercoat that comes in black or salt and pepper and can grow up to two inches.
- How Much Do Standard Schnauzers Shed? Yes, this is a low-shedding breed.
- Are Standard Schnauzers Hypoallergenic? Yes
This breed originated from England and boasts smooth, short hair and only has a single coat that needs little caring besides weekly brushing and the occasional bath.
- How Much Do Whippets Shed? Frequently, brushing weekly is recommended.
- Are Whippets Hypoallergenic? No
Big Dogs That Don’t Shed
Airedale Terriers have a dense, wiry overcoat and a thick, soft undercoat that sheds during certain times of the year. Brushing two to three times a week is plenty, and be sure not to over bathe as it softens the coat.
- How Much Do Airedale Terriers Shed? No extreme shedding, but during certain times of the year.
- Are Airedale Terriers Hypoallergenic? Yes
The Giant Schnauzer has a double coat. The fur is soft and dense on the underside, and then on the topside, it features thick and wiry hair. Use a slicker brush or pin brush daily to remove debris or food and bathe every four to six weeks to keep the coat looking beautiful.
- How Much Do Giant Schnauzers Shed? Minimal shedding with daily brushing.
- Are Giant Schnauzers Hypoallergenic? Yes
Standard Poodles are known for their soft, curly hair, and they have one coat that sheds very little. Most times, the fur that does shed goes right into their coats, which means daily brushing is needed to keep the overcoat looking best.
- How Much Do Standard Poodles Shed? Minimally
- Are Standard Poodles Hypoallergenic? Not 100%, however, the large ones are the most hypoallergenic.
Irish Water Spaniel
An Irish Water Spaniel has a double coat with both layers consisting of tight, crisp ringlets all over the body. This breed sheds only in the Springtime, and however, you will want to brush frequently to prevent loose hair from collecting throughout the house.
- How Much Do Irish Water Spaniels Shed? Springtime is when they shed the most.
- Are Irish Water Spaniels Hypoallergenic? Yes
Most people who see a Komondor would probably scoff in disbelief at this breed being a low-shedder. After all, they have some of the longest, thickest coats of any dog, with hair that curls and turns into “tassels” or “cords.” But though it was designed to keep them safe from wolf bites, this unique coat also has the side effect of barely ever shedding.
- How Much Do Komondors Shed? Not a lot, twice a year the undercoat will shed.
- Are Komondors Hypoallergenic? No
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
The Wirehaired Pointing Griffon has a compact double coat. The topcoat has a harsh texture of straight, wiry hair, and the undercoat is made up of a weather-resistant thick down.
- How Much Do Wirehaired Pointing Griffons Shed? Low shedding throughout the year.
- Are Wirehaired Pointing Griffons Hypoallergenic? Yes
So there you have it: small, medium, and large breeds that will allow you to enjoy the unabashed joy of living with a dog — without turning your house into one giant hairball. Just remember that while low-shedding is a good starting point for allergy-sufferers, it does not necessarily equate to that breed being hypoallergenic. If you’re unsure, talk to a vet in your area.