By Dr. Sherry Weaver
For low voltage shocks in the home, do not touch your pet until you have turned off the electrical source. If you pet is unconscious, check for signs of breathing and implement resuscitation if needed.
Apply first aid to any areas of bleeding or burns. For high voltage shocks, such as power lines, do not approach or try to rescue your pet if it is still within 18 meters (20 yards) of the power source. Call 911, and ask for the police to help. Take your pet to the veterinarian immediately.