Fleas aren’t just your dog’s worst nightmare; they can be yours, too. To stop this common parasite, it’s important to understand a little bit about how they operate.

The adult fleas on your dog represent only 5% of the total flea population around him or her. The other 95% can’t be seen. Fleas exist in various stages of development — as eggs, larvae, or pupae. All can exist in your carpet, couch, bedding, and anywhere else your dog walks or lies down. The complete flea life cycle lasts between two weeks to almost 170 days; however, the average life cycle is about 21 days.

Eggs

  • Fleas lay eggs within 24 hours after feeding.
  • Flea eggs are not sticky, so they fall off the pet and scatter like BBs.
  • Eggs hatch as larvae within one to six days.

Larvae

  • Larvae can travel up to 18 inches in carpet.
  • Larvae move away from light, deep into carpets and cracks in flooring where they feed.
  • On average, larvae live up to 12 days.

Pupae

  • Pupae can survive many types of flea treatments.
  • Pupae may remain dormant four to six months, but sometimes up to a year.

Adult Fleas

  • Adult fleas live on your pet; they do not jump from pet to pet or pet to human.
  • A single adult female flea can lay up to 1200 offspring in one month and can lay up to 2000 eggs in her lifetime (up to 170 days).

And the cycle begins again!

Keep in mind that not all flea products are effective against ticks.  It’s important that you talk to your veterinarian to see which product is right for your dog.

REFERENCE: Dryden, M.W., The cat flea: biology, ecology and control. Vet parasitology. 1994; 52:1-19.

0

Comment on the Story Below

Related Posts

June 18, 2015

Famous Working Dogs

Ah, Labor Day. That one

June 6, 2019

How to Bring Your Dog to Work the Right Way

More and more workplaces are becoming dog friendly, and you might even be lucky enough

July 8, 2020

Bride Has Her Wedding Party Hold Rescued Dogs Instead Of Flowers As They Walk Down The Aisle

When people get married, the bridal party often carry bouquets of flowers down the aisle.

Comments – Rules , Boundaries & Limitations

At Cesar’s Way , we strive to be a single pack, and packs have rules, and limitations. Here are ours for the comments:

  •  No bullying or harassment of fellow commenters. Keep it civil!
  • No foul language or obscenities, please.
  • No posting of external links

Also, please note that because of volume , we are unable to respond to individual comments, although we do watch them in order to learn what issues and questions are most common so that we can produce content that fulfills your needs. You are welcome to share your own dog tips and behavior solutions among yourselves, however Thank you for reading our articles and sharing your thoughts with the pack!

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get Tips From Cesar & The Pack

Don’t get left out of the doghouse! Sign up now to make sure you’re up to date on the latest happenings!

Trending Today

Trending This Week

Get a Free e-Book:
5 Essential Commands
to Teach Your Dog