By Dr. Sherry Weaver
The single most important thing you will need: a clear level head. Stay calm! If an emergency should arise, your pet is counting on you to focus and provide the necessary attention and care.
This information is not intended to take the place of expert veterinary care. It is only intended as assistance to help you determine if you have a serious situation and to help you maintain your pet’s life until you can obtain medical attention.
DOs and DON’Ts
- Do not struggle with an uncooperative animal.
- Do not pull an object that does not come out of the throat easily.
- Do not pull out fish hooks or embedded objects because this will cause further injury.
- Do not pull on a thread if some of it has been swallowed. Thread is sharp and will cut like a knife.
- Do transport the animal to a veterinarian in all the cases above.