Donna Brydon owns an adorable King Charles Spaniel named Skye. Not long ago, they had a very scary incident occur when the 12-week old puppy came in contact with a popular cleaning product. Donna came out to share her story, hoping to warn other families about the potential dangers lurking in their homes.
A Warning of Caution
Donna and Skye had gone to visit a friend, who incidentally had just cleaned her floors with Zoflora – a popular concentrated cleaning agent known for its potent aromas. All little Skye did, was come in contact with the product, then fell very ill quickly after contact. Her eyes became swollen shut, and she got very lethargic. An emergency trip to the vet revealed that Zoflora was the cause, and is apparently known to pose a danger to dogs as well as other household animals like cats.
The Veterinary Poisons Information Service is a 24-hour helpline for people who suspect that their pet might have gotten poisoned by something in their home. The service has reportedly received hundreds of calls from people concerned that their pets have gotten ill from the Zoflora disinfectant. Zoflora products are said to contain a chemical called benzalkonium chloride – an active ingredient that can cause ulcers and loss of appetite if a pet ingests it, or even just touches it.
Use Product with Care
When The Sun reached out to Zoflora, they acknowledged that their concentrated formulas contain benzalkonium chloride – however, they stated that with basic precautions, the cleaner can be used safely in households with pets. But there is one exception: under no circumstances should it be used at all in homes that have reptile pets. Zoflora claims their products are perfectly safe to use when properly diluted, as well as when the surface cleaned with the cleaning product are completely dried before pets come into contact with them.
As a spokeswoman for the company stated, “Zoflora has been used safely in households for almost 100 years, including those with pets in the home. Zoflora’s products have been fully risked assessed by leading scientists at Exponent International, a long-established, independent consultancy company with expertise in all aspects of Biocidal Products Regulation and safety.
She added, “The risk assessments conducted do not indicate a concern when the product is used in accordance with the on pack usage directions. As with all disinfectants and other household chemicals, ensure that Zoflora is used safely. When correctly diluted, Zoflora disinfectant may be used where most pets are kept.”
Nicola Robinson, a vet and head of service at the Veterinary Poisons Information Service, said to The Sun that if you have pets in your household, it is best to use more natural cleaning products. And we couldn’t agree more, a healthy pet is worth more than any “fresh” scent.