Houseplants have become the latest home decorating trend to go viral and gain a lot of popularity. If you search the hashtags on social media, you’ll be bombarded by the endless stylized photos of houseplants taking over people’s homes. And they’re great – they do bring plenty of color and personality to a room. Not to mention, they’re a breath of fresh air so to speak, since there’s a lot of house plants that are known to be natural air purifiers – which is always a plus. But while some people can just buy a plant for their home without a second thought except for where to put it, pet parents need to be a little more thoughtful. We have our animals to consider, especially since many indoor plants can pose a toxic danger to pets.
Below are 10 plants that you should avoid bringing into your home if you have a dog. If you do have one of these plants in your home and your dog begins to experience symptoms similar to the ones listed below, contact your vet or other veterinarian emergency service immediately.
Check out the list:
All parts of the jade plant are toxic to dogs. While the toxicity level is low, if a dog eats a bit of the plant they will still experience nausea and vomiting.
This one is a plant that we often have in our homes since it’s easy to care for and is soothing on those accidental kitchen burns or sunburns. However, ingested by dogs this plant will cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, color change in urine, and depression.
Satin Pothos, also called Silk Pothos
This plant can cause oral irritation such as pain and swelling of the mouth, tongue, or lips, as well as excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
This plant, if ingested by dogs, causes symptoms very similar to that of the satin pothos. Dogs will experience oral irritation, swelling of the tongue and lips, and excessive drooling. They will also have trouble swallowing and will vomit as well.
Everyone knows that these plants are quite toxic, even deadly, to cats. But they can be just as harmful, even deadly, to dogs. All species of Lilies are dangerous for dogs, but the most toxic are the True Lilies, which come from the Lilium and Hemerocallis species.
This plant should be kept out of reach from dogs since it will cause vomiting – which can often be accompanied by blood – as well as lack of appetite, excessive drooling, and depression.
This plant has gained a lot of popularity as a decorative houseplant. However, they will cause your dog to experience irritation of the mucous membrane like intense burning, as well as an irritated mouth, lips, and tongue if it’s ingested. Your dog will also drool excessively too.
Bird of Paradise
This one is very dangerous to have around dogs since it’s highly poisonous. If eaten, your dog will begin to suffer mild nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, loss of appetite, difficulty breathing, and eventual death.
This plant will usually cause symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea. But it can, in rare cases, lead to an abnormal heartbeat.
Most eucalyptus is dried and used for decorative purposes like autumn wreaths and such. However, the live plant, including the essential oil, can have toxic symptoms such as over-salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, physical weakness, and depression.