Test Your Flea and Tick Awareness IQ
How much do you know about fleas and ticks? Take this short quiz to make sure you know the facts so you can protect your dog from these pests..
1. How many eggs can an adult female flea produce daily?
A. Over 100
B. 75 to 100
C. Up to 25
D. 30 to 50
2. How long can an adult flea live?
A. 20 days
B. 21 days
C. 100 days
D. 12 days
3. Which of the following conditions can be caused or transmitted by fleas?
A. Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD)
B. Tapeworm Infection
C. Roundworm Infection
D. Both A and B
4. Ticks are only a concern in warmer months.
5. Which of the following diseases are transmitted to dogs by ticks.
A. Lyme Disease
C. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
D. All of the above
1. D. Adult female fleas can produce between 30 and 50 eggs a day, which can total over 2,000 eggs over a lifetime.
2. C. A flea can live for over 100 days.
3. D. Fleas may cause Flea Allergy Dermatitis and transmit tapeworm infections. FAD is an allergic reaction to the saliva exuded by fleas into bite wounds. Because fleas feed on the blood of their hosts, heavy infestations may also lead to anemia, and flea larvae may serve as an intermediate host to tapeworm eggs, which develop into maturity as the flea does. If the pet ingests the carrier flea while grooming, the tapeworm can then infect the pet’s intestine.
4. False. Ticks can be active throughout the year, even where it is cold. Ticks such as the Lone Star tick and the black-legged or deer tick can survive winter under leaf litter or in other microclimates